From:
Sue Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:49:51 EDT
Well, this past weekend my boyfriend decided to be supersweet and buy me
a bouquet of red roses.  I was quite impressed...it usually takes a major
holiday and 5 people reminding him of it to remember to buy sweet stuff
like that.  But hey-it's a guy thing right??  LOL.

I came home Sunday night and hung my roses upside down to dry from my
baker's rack in the kitchen - one of the only spots my three boys couldn't
get to.  I always put stuff up there that I don't want them to get
into...soda,dinner, cereal...what have you.  Haven't ever had a problem.

Monday morning I let the boys out to play for an hour before I went to
work.  I went in my room (the one place they're not allowed in my whole
apartment but always try to sneak in anyway) to get dressed and after
a couple minutes I came back out.  Odd thing was, noone was scratching
frantically at the door like they usually do when I'm in there.  I thought
that to be very curious but didn't think about it, really.  I went into
the bathroom to put on my makeup; I then decided I wanted to get a glass
of soda (I don't drink coffee, so I want a cold soda first thing in the
morning).  There, on my kitchen floor, is my Dante, a beautiful big albino
ferret, laying flat on his back in a bed of rose petals.  What a picture
it was.

I panicked.  First, I can't figure out how the heck he got onto the baker's
rack (but be rest assured I will never put anything up there again).
Second, I picked up EVERY SINGLE PETAL and inspected each one to make sure
he didn't bite or ingest any.  I was near hysteria at this point...I had
to go to work, my sweet baby might have just ingested rose petals which I
know are very bad, and I've been a bad ferret mommy.

All the rose petals I checked didn't even have rips in them from claws, let
alone any signs they had been chewed.  I checked his mouth and didn't see
anything (thank god).  He was shaking his head a bit, but wasn't sure if it
was because of the smell & texture of the rose petals or if it was because
he was trying to get the nasty taste out of his mouth!!

I went to work because it seemed like everything was just fine, none of the
petals were chewed upon and it didn't look like anything very very bad was
gonna happen.  But boy, let me tell you, when there is trouble to be had,
Dante is there instigating it!  LOL.

I came home last night dreading to walk in the door.  Would I have a dead
Dante or would he come to the top of the cage to greet me when I let him
out?

Silly me.  I sometimes think I have Super Ferrets.  Dante was just fine,
dying to get out and even more ticked at me when I gave him a bath last
night.  But boy, what a scare he gave me!  I was nervous as heck all day
yesterday.

Thanks for letting me babble guys!

Sue
Dante (I like roses Mom!)
Toby (the Patriots player who DIDN'T disappear)
and Paul (I'm not old, blind & deaf! Really! What's blind? What's deaf?)