Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:42:39 -0400
Hi all,

Well we brought home Roger (the girl) and have been working on settling her
into our house and routine.  She sure has turned into an easy-going, sweet
ferret who loves to be held and talked to and play.  I was a little
concerned at first that she might be an "older" ferret but now that she has
had a few days to build up her muscles by roaming around she seems to be
picking up steam.  We tried a few new names out that we thought we liked
for her, but they didn't seem to fit, and we finally decided that we would
probably end up calling her Roger after all.  But as time would have it, we
have gradually been calling her "Chunky" as a nickname - it seems to fit
her personality as well as her build - and I think that it is evolving into
a new name for her.

The trouble now is........Daisy.  Daisy is bent on hunting down and
attacking poor Chunky.  If Daisy is "up" and about she is on an obvious
hunt to find Chunky.  Whenever she does find her she is trying to grab her
by the nape.  Chunky is screaming, Daisy is clucking and Chunky is
obviously scared half to death.  There is usually a chase scene, grab you
by the neck scene with lots of screaming, twisting, etc., and Chunky quite
often will poop in the middle of it which is what makes me think she is
really terrified or hurting.  Occasionally it is Daisy who ends up running
away, but 9/10 times it is Chunky.  We need help!  Any ideas?  So far this
all happens over two large rooms with lots of "get away spots".  When
Chunky is in a "safe spot" she can usually defend her territory, but
sometimes Daisy manages to find her way in as well.  How far should I let
this go?  Would it be better to confine them to a smaller area with no
hiding spots and then monitor them closely?  Chunky doesn't seem to have
any "injuries" as such - she has a couple of small red marks that I assume
are made by Daisy's teeth when she tries to scuff her - but there has been
no blood, etc.  But boy can she scream!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Karla