From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:38:52 -0500
Sue Savage wrote:

>... it has radiator heat.  ... Is there any way to block them so it
>still heats the room, but the girls can't injure themselves?  Also,
>what if the one in their room blows?

HI Sue --
There are two types of radiators, and you'll have to ask which the apt
has.  The ones that can "blow" are the steam radiators.  These heat with
steam, which is hotter than 212 degrees fahrenheit.  Luckily, these are
also rather rare.

The more normal type of radiators heat with hot water, which is cooler
than 212 degrees.  They are still hot enough that you could get burned,
but are much safer than the steam radiators.  Some have cast iron loops
that look like steam radiators; some are baseboard heaters that run
around the room.

I assume the apt in question has a cast iron radiators, or there would
be no confusion.  Personally, I'd hesitate to take the apartment if it
has steam heat, but I wouldn't mind with hot water heat.  If the radiator
has tempting spaces, I'd cover it.

You can get radiator covers  (http://eradiatorcovers.com/)
or make them yourself
(http://doityourself.com/hvac/radiatorcovers-e2diy0181.htm)

I'd choose to make them, though, because I don't trust the commercial
manufacturers to have had ferrets in mind when making the covers.  They
worry about kids poking fingers through, not ferrets wriggling entire
bodies through.  I'd also make them extra large, so that if someone did
get in, they could still stay a couple of inches away from the radiator
itself.  (Maybe add some loose aluminum foil or little bells around the
inside, so anyone getting in would make lots of noise).

If the radiator isn't too tempting, I'd consider leaving it uncovered.
My furkids have no sense, but aren't entirely foolhardy.  I was really
worried at first about my woodstove, but they have learned not to get too
close.  I put up a barrier, but it's low and they can easily get over it.
It's there more to prevent accidental slam-dancing than to seriously keep
them out.  Side benefit -- they know what "hot!" means!  I also say it
when someone gets too curious about my coffee or I'm opening the oven.

BTW, I've made barriers out of metal mesh for appliances such as the
washer, and around the base of the stove.  I didn't think the stove was
a problem, as neither of my guys were ever able to get under it, but my
little girl discovered she could go under the stove, climb up through the
insulation under the burners, and through the vent to emerge on the
counter.  Luckily, my (gas) stove had no pilot light.  (She still digs at
the floor where she used to be able to get in.)  I highly recommend that
you examine _all_ appliances for ferret-proofness.

Hope this helps.
-Claire