From:
Faith Hood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:03:24 PST
I am usually a lurker.  I have been a ferret owner for over 12 years.  The
last few years I have been taking in older ferrets when their families give
them up.  I am sometimes the second, normally the third or fourth owner in
these poor little guys lives.  It has been my observation that some of these
ferrets get into a deep depression which sometimes is never overcame.  It
appears to be mainly females.  I work with these newcomers with lots of TLC,
private play time with their mate and maybe some of my quietier ones.  But I
think the shock of a new home, so many new ferrets and maybe a difference of
lifestyle does much harm to the sensitive ferret.

I am dealing with a case now that is breaking my heart.  About a month ago,
I got a call from a local bunny rescue begging me to take this pair of
ferrets.  I was really full at that time, both room, love and financially (I
do this out of my own pocket).  But knowing that bunnies and ferrets do not
get along I ran right over.  The bunny lady had no clue on ferrets, she had
them for a month to observe and 'make sure they were not sick'.  I had no
way to contact the previous owners to find out vital information that helps
make transitions earier on the guys.  The bunny lady had been feeding them
Iams Senior turkey and rice and Nutri Cat Senior lamb and rice.  So I
started trying to incorporate my totally ferret/ iams kitten mix into their
diet.  The male took to it with gusto.  The female refused to pick through
the food to get her favorite.  She started losing weight rapidly.  The
female was scared when out to play, even if just with her mate.  She is
visably upset with the change in surroundings.  I finally figured out which
food she perfered.  So I have it in a separate bowl just for her.  I guess
they never had nutrical or petromalt.  I can't get any nutrical down her.
I've tried duck soup with little luck.  Tried plain chicken baby food.  She
eats only a couple pieces of food a day.  She is still depressed.  It seems
the only thing she is surviving on is ferretone and pedialyte.  I give her
more TLC than the others, keep her away from the other ferrets(except her
mate).  Her poops are fine, what little there is, since she doesn't eat.
Any ideas?  I was kinda thinking on getting the Nutri cat kitten food and
trying that, the Nutricat senior is her favorite.  Maybe the taste will be
close enough that she'll eat it.

Do you shelters go through this same thing?  It has happened a lot with me.
Sometimes I feel like my household stresses these guys out.  It can get a
bit crazy.  Thanks and sorry for the length.

Faith