From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:01:25 -0400
>Win or lose, now is the time to build an organization that advocates our
>>rights, one not mired in mudslinging or political posturing.

Hear, hear.  I'm also involved with the pet bird community.  The American
Federation of Aviculture is THE organization which is the political watchdog
for the avicultural community.  At the state and national levels they keep
an eye out on legislation which could be used to curtail the rights of
citizens to keep and/or breed exotic birds.  Since exotic birds may no
longer be imported (except in certain circumstances and after jumping though
several hoops blindfolded with both legs tied together) aviculturists must
work with the populations we now have.  And in truth, few aviculturists WANT
to import birds from their native habitats, but the restrictions even apply
to *domestically bred birds* from aviculturists in other countries.  Go
figure.

In any event, in several instances the AFA has lobbied successfully to
change the wording of certain bills; wording which may not have even looked
dangerous, but which was inserted by misguided by well-intentioned people,
or worse yet, groups whose goals are to eventually ban pet ownership of any
kind, and starting with the more exotic pets is the easiest way to begin.

So you may count my vote on this as a YES.  The ferret community must pull
together to protect themselves.  They must be PROFESSIONAL, which means
ceasing the in-fighting and backstabbing, and begin looking for ways to
protect the rights of all ferret owners.  None of this "my group is better
than your's because..." foolishness.   It will take some doing, but the way
everyone pulled together for Kodo shows that it can be done.  If it can be
done by the existing clubs, that would be great.  However, if people are
going to play petty political games, or allow personal differences to get
in the way, then a separate organization should be formed.  I suspect that
this would be the best way in any case, so that you have a group which is
dedicated to this overall goal, rather than many separate ones.

That's my 2 cents.

Karen
Today the wind had a milder range,
And seems to hint of a secret change,