From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:09:50 -0400
>From:    swamp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Squeeks & ferrets, MF again, Rudy
>I don't question the motives of the people trying to effect change as much
>as the manner in which they would effect it.  We may have *moral* reasons
>for insisting that MF answer to us, but legally we have no standing.
>Therefore, those demanding policy changes remember that *if* MF entertains
>our ideas, they do so of their own volition.  We can't force them to change
>any more than we can eliminate impulse buying.  Legally, MF can dismiss us,
>our interests, and our ideas forthwith, so any proposal made to them better
>take into account *their* interests as well.

Swamp, thanks for your well tempered post concerning MF.  You are most
correct in stating that Marshall appears to be operating within the law,
such that they are.  However, your argument that MF can "dismiss" all
concerned is a very helpless comment.  By this I mean that people either
have an internal or external locus of control, either feeling in control or
feel others control them.  Many businesses have operated with in the law
while still ignoring ethical issues.  Laws and ethics are often distinct.
Of course, any proposal should be respectful of Marshall's right to make a
profit.  However, a higher standard must be applied when concerning humanity
and ethics.  And ALL companies are accountable to the public AND the law.  I
could not post all of the recent instances of CIVIC action that persuaded
companies to "improve" their practices, but historically, it works.  Swamp,
your insights into the issues of Marshall are very accurate, we just don't
share the same vision of possibilities nor the same faith in the power of
the people.

>As a former union negotiator, I'm a big believer in rational discourse as a
>means of achieving your goals; in other words, you catch more flies with
>honey than vinegar.  So I hope that we can keep talking and make a real
>difference.
> Regina, Cully and Amelia

Regina, I am very happy you posted these comments as this is a key issue
concerning the appropriate constructs of an agreement with Marshall.  The
"honey" philosophy has been used quite often and I couldn't be more pleased
that a former union negotiator used this logic.  While unions may approach
with honey, they invariably over it on a BIG stick and from a STRONG jar.
That jar consists of the workers who can easily cripple or bankrupt a
company if so motivated.  This is exactly the approach I believe will be the
most effective.  As a former union leader, I am sure you respect the nature
of the jar the honey is offered from.  Marshall relies on retailers,
although few retailers rely on Marshall.  If Marshall is approached and
offered these ideas of improvements it is up to them whether the group
approaching will the turn their attention onto the retailers.  Here, the
concerned parties and the retailers become the STRONG jar, and a very sweet
taste it is.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Availability
>There's no doubt in my mind that impulse buying is an actual phenomenon and
>no amount of arguing semantics or talking around it can convince me
>otherwise.

Marie, I agree a hundred percent, much of ferret purchases, and other pets,
are impulse buying.  Anyone with even a basic understanding of Human nature
needs to include that equation.  In fact its less a phenomena and more a
standard practice.

>From:    Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: if MF were to raise its prices
>I don't want to sound like a pessimist and make things unnecessarily
>complex, but it seems to me that if ferrets suddenly began to cost several
>hundred dollars instead of one or two hundred dollars, that might encourage
>more of the unethical sorts of backyard breeders to get into ferrets.

Regina, what you present is quite true if indeed prices soared as your
argument suggests, but from 99 to 3-4 hundred is quite a jump.  What has
been suggested among us that Marshall can instill may increase prices but
only by a very nominal amount, much less than the difference that already
exists from retailer to retailer.  Ferrets ain't cold cuts, a few bucks are
not going to shake the ferret market.

I really hope all of those I responded to understand that I appreciate thier
posts and the effort to get involved and hope they continue to do so.
Absolutely no offense is intended if our perceptions or opinions differ in
any way.  All of the above stated your arguments sans ANY personal fodder,
and that is alway a welcome tradition.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi