From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 08:15:56 -0400
Hello all!

In regard to the ferret with the dirty ears, I wouldn't worry much unless
the goo in the ears is _dark_ brown or black in color.  Ear goo of this
color may indicate the presence of ear mites which your vet can definitely
diagnose and provide treatment.  Otherwise, some ferrets just have dirtier
ears than others.  My boy Paleface has pretty nasty ears on a regular
basis, despite cleaning.  (And, boy howdy, does he hate to have his ears
done!) Important! - Use the mineral oil, not the peroxide.  Alternatively,
your vet can recommend an ear cleaning solution.

As to the funny colored ferret list, add Paleface!  His underfur is all
cream-colored; his guard hairs are all either black/grey/white on the tips.
He has a cream bib, white feet, and a white face with a grey mask.  His tail
is colored as his body (predominantly black/grey guard hairs).  His little
nose used to be pink with a few black dots.  Now that he is of a "mature"
age (5 yrs), his nose has turned all black.  I've always considered him to
be a "Champagne" color - much like the babies on the cover of the 1996
Ferret Calendar.  Speaking of, if you haven't gotten yours, what are you
waiting for?  :) The photos are great!

Hope all the little ones are happy and doing well!

Gina
and
Paleface, the confirmed batchelor