From:
Marie Bartholdsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:05:32 +0000
Sukie, that photo was taken by Keven Law in 2008 at the British
Wildlife Centre, Surrey, England. It's one of the kits at the centre
that year. The photo is posted on Flickr and Wikipedia Commons:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/66164549@N00/2775288104>
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:European_Polecat_(Mustela_putorius)-8.jpg>

Some additional info: I happened to ask the BWF about this particular
photo some years ago, regarding the red colour of this kit. Matt
Binstead of the BWF confirmed it's one of their kits, but told me they
don't have polecats that are that red, but he though it must be the
way the light fell on that day or that the photo had been
edited/manipulated.

So in other words, the photo is not related to the article. From what
I've read before, they do have a naturalized population of ferrets in
La Palma. Here's another study:
Medina, F.M. & Martín, A. (2010)
A new invasive species in the Canary Islands: a naturalized population
of ferrets Mustela furo in La Palma Biosphere Reserve.
Oryx, 44, 41--44. doi: 10.1017/S0030605309990743

Marie