From:
Dustin Mets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 12:01:33 -0400
>They carry flea control products, prescription and non-prescription
>drugs... they seem to have very reasonable prices (much cheaper than
>through my vet!
>Mary Reeves..aka Shadra

Mary,

Although discounters often are cheaper - it is a good idea to support your
local vet.  The large discounters won't perform emergency surgery.  Nor will
a large discounter provide necessary veterinary care for a local animal
shelter for a reduced fee.

Although I must say that we purchase most ferret care items from catalogs
and pet supply stores, When it comes to medications and shots - we buy from
our vet.  The extra money spent helps pay for other services.  Such as the
24 hour animal hospital - that we had to use not that long ago.  At 12:30am
we were so glad that our vet had the ability to offer 24hour emergency care.
Otherwise, Tsosumi might have gone over the rainbow bridge (he needed
hospitalization and immediate fluids - the little bugger had ECE but
stubbornly hid it well until he couldn't stand anymore).

I am not trying to shame people into not buying from these bulk vendors.
But just think about how your money is put to use.  Check with your vet.
Check with your local shelter.  The extra $5 bucks might just help you or
a homeless ferret out some day.  It did for us.

Dustin Mets & Suzanne Creiglow with weasels Tsosumi & Kobayashi Maru
[log in to unmask]  [log in to unmask]