From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 03 Nov 1994 08:55:12 -0500
>Cedar shavings have *not* been proven to be detrimental to ferrets as a whole,
>on the contrary, cedar shavings actually help repel fleas and other pests,
>*BUT* this is when it's 100% cedar shavings.  There are several brands of
>Cedar shavings that have "deodarant" or "pleasant scent" oils added.  If you
>make sure that the cedar shavings you use are nothing but Cedar shavings, you
>have no worries.  The problem is, most brands of cedar shavings that are
>packaged are treated with oils of types that are not good for animals at all.

Ah!  This explains much!  Before I knew about this, I used to buy cedar
shavings in compressed brick form, but I noticed that my ferret wheezed and
had a "cold" for about 24 hours after I replaced the shavings.  Then she
was fine.  So what I started doing was to let the shavings "air out" for a
few days.  I also use them only under the wire floor, and I don't use very
many.  I also replace just the shavings under the food dish and litterbox,
*and* I put newspaper under the litterbox.  She's never had a problem
since.

<anon>