Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:33:30 -0400
Here is the press release from the media consultant we have hired.  If
anyone sees this picked up in a newspaper, can you please let us know and
make a copy for us.  If you would like to contribute to further media
efforts, please e-mail me, thanks!  -- Ronnie

Reprinted with permission from Bud Jackson

For immediate release:

On Death Row: One Family's Precious Pet?
Family Struggles to Rescue Beloved Pet from Senseless Death Penalty Fights
to Preserve Their Home and Livelihood

Day 34-June 9th Execution Date

Saginaw, Michigan-Robert Jacobs' two children, Crystal (8) and Eric (9) are
sitting at home while their favorite furry little pet ferret -- "Kodo the
Kute" -- has just reached his 34th day on death row awaiting an unusual and
illogical court ordered death penalty.  Meanwhile, their father has been
forced to leave work and fight for his children's pet in court.  Moreover,
local publicity from the struggle sparked Jacobs' landlord to deliver him a
"notice to quit" his family's mobile trailer park home for harboring an
"exotic" pet, even though the ferret isn't exotic (it's domestic).

"I feel as if I'm in the eye of a hurricane," Jacobs sadly remarks.  "I've
always told my children that truth and honesty always prevail.  But I don't
know what to tell Crystal and Eric now.  They're heartbroken.  And honesty
and truth isn't saving their friend Kodo from bureaucracy, ignorance and
politics.  My family is under siege.  Most of all, my children are being
unfairly and unlawfully victimized."

The trouble began last month when Jacobs brought the family's pet ferret to
a mall pet exhibition -- on the first day of National Pet Week -- at the
request of local animal control officer Karen Burns.  A senior gentleman
_reached_ to pat the ferret when he accidentally _scraped his finger_ on the
pet's nose and tooth.  The scrape broke the skin causing minor bleeding.

"The gentleman later humorously remarked to his wife, upon seeing a blown-up
photo of a vicious dog bite, that his 'bite' wasn't nearly as bad," Jacobs
said, referring to the gentleman's court testimony.  "But within twenty
minutes, Burns, having overheard the man's remark to his wife, arrived at my
area with a 'bite report' which correctly stated, 'Minor, no stitches,
scratch did bleed.'  Then she took Kodo away from me!"

"Now, our pet is gone, facing execution, and we aren't allowed to visit.  My
children are mortified."

People around the country have rallied to Kodo's cause.  And as time winds
down to the scheduled execution, Jacobs and his family are hoping to save
their pet's life and rescue their own life from an apparently silly and
baseless government action.