Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 02:03:04 -0400
What can I say about our favorite ferret pathologist, Dr. Bruce Williams,
that has not already been said?  Since last we saw him, the infamous Dr.
Williams has continued to pad his resume.  Last year he shared with us
that telemedicine allowed him to view slides at home from the comfort of
his own office.  This year, he had to leave that chair and spend time in
the desert.  Keeping boss Donald Rumsfeld happy, the good pathologist has
put in his time in Iraq, where he quickly became at home with a sidearm.
"When you become a veterinarian, you don't expect to have to carry a
weapon," he said.  "However, when you go to a place like Iraq, you
quickly learn that you don't want to leave home without it!"

When asked if there was anything about being in Iraq that surprised
or impressed him, Dr. Williams stated that he was not expecting the
reception he received.  "We see all the news reports about how Americans
are not wanted over there.  Really, it is quite the opposite.  Everywhere
we went we were cheered and made to feel welcome by the Iraqi people."
That has to be encouraging when you find yourself half a world away from
those you know and love.

Time away from home is not the most enjoyable for Dr. Williams, who
rarely spends a night away from his ever-growing family.  The penultimate
family man, Dr. Williams and wife Colleen recently added another
testosterone carrier to the family on the same day as Ferret Aid founder
Randy Belair celebrated her most recent birthday.  Drew, the youngest,
keeps the family busy and older brother Conner finds him interesting.
"Conner is a great older brother," says Dr. Williams.  The now
six-year-old has begun school and is in a new phase of his life.  The
Sun Conyer and African Gray that were added to the family before Drew are
completely at home and "will probably bury me!" joked the good doctor.

Those of you who have met Dr. Williams know that he has opened his heart
and home to numerous animals, including ferrets, deer, blue herons, a sea
lion and even a vegetarian land-dwelling nutria known as a hutia.  His
life continues as the l ives of most parents, supporting his sons as they
become well-adjusted members of society.  He continues work on his ferret
book and is a co-moderator of the online Ferret Health List, home to many
wonderful ferret vets.

Dr. Williams has presented at numerous meetings and is always a favorite
at ferret conferences.  However, due to increasing demands on his time,
Dr. Williams may no longer be able to attend these, which may make this
your last chance to hear this ferret expert in this environment.  It is
not an opportunity you want to miss.  As much fun as he is knowledgeable,
Dr. Williams will keep you entertained at the podium or the dinner table.
Come spend an evening with a wonderful man.

Though extremely busy, Dr. Williams continues to collect tissue samples
from ferrets and will consult with your veterinarian to assist in
diagnosis of questionable pathologies.  To consult with him, go to
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/webconsults.html
Website:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/