From:
Alex Haynal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 18:59:15 GMT
Hello everyone,

Again, I need some help.  I find so much good information on FML, its the
first place I turn.

Awile ago, I posted a message about my ferret, Erp, who had gone to live
with some friends of mine after too many nasty run-ins with my ex-boyfriend.
Well, Erp is back now but its not the happy reunion I had hoped for.

I last saw Erp about a month ago when he was still living with the couple I
gave him to over a year ago.  He was is good shape physically and still had
a lot of energy.  Well, I got him home yesterday and he is not the same
ferret.  My friends had to move out early and gave Erp temporarily to their
friend who was taking their other ferret.  This friend had him for about 3
weeks.  Yesterday when I got Erp back he smelled positively awful, so first
thing I did was give him a bath.  It was then that I noticed how thin he is.
He is almost just skin and bones.

After he was dried off and brushed I put him back in his cage.  I watched
him for awile because I was getting very concerned.  He has no energy or
interest in anything.  He won't even climb into his hammock, he just sleep
on the floor.  If I put him in his hammock he stays there until he wakes up
and has to use his litter box.  The person who had him the past three weeks
gave us the cage he was keeping Erp in, as well as, his bowl and
waterbottle, litter box, toys and hammock so he won't have familiar things
around him.

The most concerning things is he has no appitite and coughs occasionly.  I
would like to attribute his behavior to the change in his lifestyle, but the
cough worries me.  Could it be hairballs?  He was shedding a lot when i
brought him home.  He has also been eating a very cheap brand of cat food (I
don't know what kind but it is bright orange, very a good sign, and smells
funny).  I have Totally Ferret for him which I mixed with his current food
but he hardly toched any of it last night.

What should I do?  Since I just got back from vacation, money is tight right
now so a trip to the vet will probably have to wait until next weekend.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong with him?

Thanks for all your help,

Alex