From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:43:48 -0500
Well, first off, remember that MOST adrenal growths are NOT cancer at
first; they still need to be treated but are NOT malignant.

On the other hand, adrenal growths that are not treated sufficiently
can become malignant.

There are THREE protocols under study currently and TWO other things
which have been looked at some in real studies and may also be under
study now again without my knowing. I gues that this may help a number
of people right now. Forgive this being links, but the vets speak best
for themselves, my Father is in the hospital right now isnce this
morning, a niece had a nasty allergic reaction later today, and I
am post-op, so bad combo...

The preventative Lupron depot approach usually talked about is that of
Dr. Cathy Johnson-Delaney. Dr. Nico Shoemaker is studying deslorelin
depot (a related med) for that and some other things. The third study
has not been announced so I can't say what it is except that it is very
different approach. The two other things which have been under study
for prevention are darkness (at least 14 hours of complete darkness per
each 24 hours) and melatonin. Deslorelin depot of the right type has
not yet been approved for sale in the U.S. Deslorelin is cheaper and
lasts longer.

Here is the info on Lupron studies as a preventative with the info
from Dr. Johnson-Delaney herself:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2407
(carried vet post)

On adrenal disease not typically being malignant and why and how it
needs treatment:
 and
<http://listserv.ferretmailinglist.org/SCRIPTS/WA-FERRET.EXE?A2=ind0710&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R12730>

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/neoplasia.pdf

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/aae.html

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG15383
(quoted vet post -- the archives is having some trouble pulling up the
original right now but try the link because it may work later)

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL1732
(There is another post from Dr. Murray that I wanted to direct you
to which explains why surgery is the first choice but that if it is
impossible that the combo of Lupron depot and Melatonin implant is
usually best (U.S.), or Deslorelin depot and Melatonin implant (where
available. Second best when surgery can't be done is eith of those
depots. Third best when surgery can't be done is melatonin implant.
Fifth best when surgery can't be done is oral melatonin. The FHL
archives are having trouble retrieving a number of things right now.

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/adrenal.htm
(Dr. Kemmerer-Cottrell on treating adrenal dizease)

On why the type of Lupron matters:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/24hr_lupron.htm

Sukie (not a vet)
Recommended ferret health links: