From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:35:30 -0500
What sort of cage addresses the ferret's natural history, psychological
needs, and physical requirements, while still being practical and
affordable?  At this time?  None!  Cages sold for ferret use are
universally constructed to meet the needs of people, with ferret needs
being of secondary (or even tertiary) importance.  Problems with cage
design for ferrets can be subsumed into six categories:
1. flooring, ramps, and shelves,
2. sleeping accommodations,
3. play space,
4. accommodation for strenuous activity,
5. feeding space, and
6. privacy and security.
None of these caging issues specifically addresses the need for
enrichment.  However, when they are met properly the stress on the
ferret is reduced and enrichment needs are somewhat decreased.

1. Wire floors and ramps are wonderful in allowing wastes, food
particles, and litter to fall through to a collection tray, allowing some
degree of "free" (requiring no physical effort) sanitation to take place,
but ferret's feet are NOT designed to walk on wire (try walking on rebar
all day!).  Very few wire floors or ramps have grid spacing of a size
that supports a ferret's foot; while the wire mesh more-or-less supports
the entire foot, footpads and toes may not be supported and can be
injured, or toenails ripped off.  It may be painful for older ferrets to
walk on the wire, especially if they are prone to arthritic conditions.
Ramps may be at too steep an angle for older ferrets to easily climb.
Shelves and ramps tend to be narrow, making it harder for ill, weak, or
older ferrets to utilize the space.

2. From my experience, there seems to be two basic sizes of cages; small
ones used by new ferret owners and shelters, and large ones used by
people who have lots of ferrets for a long time.  NEITHER size of cage
addresses the sleeping needs of ferrets.  Small cages just don't have
room for a nesting box--the main floor space is used for litter, feeding,
and play, and sleeping arraignments are relegated to suspended hammocks.
Large, multi-level cages have the space for a nesting box, but rarely is
one provided.  In my free-roam situation, I have dozens of hammocks
(thanks, Alice!) suspended under chairs, in wooden frames, and inside
wooden boxes filled with straw (take one wooden box about W 18 in x L 24
in by D 12in, use a 3 inch circle cutter to cut a couple of access holes
in the lower sides, screw in 4 eyelets in the top edge to fit the
hammock, fill the bottom of the box with hay or bedding, and suspend a
hammock across the top using snap hooks).  While my ferrets rest, play,
and nap on these hammocks, they prefer to sleep in the many nesting boxes
placed throughout the room.  I have found a ferret will choose a nesting
box over a hammock 90% or more of the time.

3&4.  Very few cages address the need for adequate play space.  Even
those that have adequate play space usually fail to address the need for
strenuous activity.  Cage manufacturers assume the ferret owner will
allow their ferret time outside the cage to meet their exercise and
play needs.  However, FEW ferrets housed inside cages EVER get adequate
exercise.  In one of my last ferret lectures, I impressed the audience by
predicting which ferrets were caged in small cages, which were housed in
large cages, and which were allowed to free roam.  I was accurate to 90%!
You can tell by the combination of exploratory behavior and muscle tone.
Ferrets housed for long periods of time in cages have HORRIBLE muscle
tone.  I have also discovered another interesting tidbit from my skeletal
studies.  Many of the skeletons I study are recovered from animals having
long term shelter experiences, where caging is a requirement for the
safety and health of the animals.  I have found significant skeletal
changes--especially in the back legs--of ferrets living a significant
portion of their lives in cages.  The changes show differences in muscle
attachment and bulk; it is no wonder so many pet ferrets have such a
difficult time leaping, have hip and back leg problems, and even have
back problems.  There is DIRECT evidence, in pet ferrets, mink, and other
caged animals, that caging reduced muscle tone, negatively impacts the
skeleton, and overall makes the pet ferret the mustelids version of a
couch potato.  Play also increases the bond BETWEEN ferrets, and helps
them socialize better.  Ferrets learn to socialize through play.

Bob C    [continued below...]