From:
Christopher Stephan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 18:16:42 -0600
With all this talk about whether animals experience emotions, I just have to
recommend a book I just finished reading.  It's called "When Elephants Weep:
The Emotional Lives of Animals" by J.  M.  Masson and S. McCarthy.  The
authors challenge the notion that animals have no emotions by examining the
arguments and the evidence.  But it isn't just a philosophical/scientific
examination - they give tons of examples and stories of animals (eg.
information and stories about chimpanzees from Jane Goodall, or about
elephants from Cynthia Moss).  Anyway, it's a really interesting book for
anyone interested in the topic.

-Vanessa and her fuzzy kids, Mina and Josette