Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:06:06 -0400
I have waited until everyone could have a say about leaving the animals
and an evacuation plan. Now, I would like to share a little perspective
from my experience. I have been a disaster instructor with the Red
Cross for more than 10 years. I have worked in shelters, in family
assistance centers and in the EOC. This is a very emotional topic and
it is also one that does allow us to make a better plan.

It is easy to say we know exactly what we would do if we were in a
certain situation. But, the truth is, we don't know until we get there.
I was the supervisor in charge of shelters during Hurricane Floyd
(1999). I had an elderly woman who had lived alone ask me from her
shelter bed if I would check on her dog. She had to leave it at home so
she could come to the shelter, where animals weren't allowed. I didn't
have to check because I knew from her address that her house was under
water - and so was her dog. Did I tell her that? No, I said I would
have AC check. Yeah, I was a coward. I couldn't tell this little old
lady who had no place else to go, nothing to her name, that she left
her dog home to die. He was all that mattered to her, but she had no
choice except to stay home and die with him.

People who live in hurricane prone areas have some of the best advice
about evacuating. The Houston Area Ferret Association has a great page
for preparing to evacuate. Now, FERRET also has information up that is
great to help you make a plan. There is information from Lisa Leidig at
the St. Louis Symposium and the presentation by Susann Theil from the
Portland Symposium.

The American Red Cross has a lot of excellent information available
about sheltering in place, evacuating due to hazmat situations and
weather situations. But, what about fires and unexpected floods? Did
you know that anyone anywhere anytime can have a local disaster? In
today's world, you never know what can happen. ARE YOU READY?

Do you have an evacuation plan? Ask yourself, could I really get my
family and animals out of here safely? How long would it take? What
would it require? If you cannot reasonably get out, perhaps you will
need to shelter in place. So, look around. What do you need to do to
make it a survival situation and not a death trap? PLAN NOW. When the
time comes you will not have time to plan and you will not be able to
tind the things you need anyway.

FERRET will be making a special offer to you in the near future. Start
making your plan now and let's see what we can do to make this a safer
ferret community.

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the