From:
Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:16:54 -0400
I am setting the record straight about my ringing endorsement.  As
President of the AFA, I am not endorsing any breeder.  AFA does not
endorse any individual, group, company, etc, etc.

>From: Rudik Elaine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kit and Caboodle Ferretry
>Despite a lot of flaming against the Coles of Kit and Caboodle Ferretry,
>they have now been given a ringing endorsement by the president of the
>American Ferret Association.

Not quite........

>The AFA president said she has talked to them many times, they are good
>Christian people who care deeply for their ferrets.  They also have plenty
>of capital to go to ferret shows across the entire country, entering 40
>ferrets in each show, supporting local clubs and sponsoring show rings.

True, I did say this.

>With their recent acquisitions, they will probably increase the number of
>ferrets they enter in each show, rather than decrease them. Those beautiful
>ferrets deserve to be shown all across the nation!

I did not say this, maybe this is Elaine's comments.

>Yes, they have been talking to show officials about the possibility of
>adding new rings to the shows due to new colors and new patterns that they
>have developed in the relatively short time they have been involved with
>ferrets.  Should they also be criticized for having the ingenuity and
>knowledge to develop new colors and patterns?  They have been in the
>forefront in developing a new blaze type, "Demi Gigas", "honey caramels",
>and "tangerine albinos" and will undoubtedly develop others.

I don't think they should be credited with the development of new colors
and patterns.  Honey caramels and tangerine albinos have been produced at
TPP for years.  Blazes have also been around for quite a while, these are
not new.  Demi Gigas is the term Doug McKay of Unique Impressions has used
for years for large sables.  Nothing new with that one.

AFA is not in the process of changing color standards.  With that said,
some of the Coles' ferrets do not do well in the show rings - those with
the heavy yellow undercoats.  From a personal hobby breeder (yes that is an
appropriate term for small scale breeders) point of view, I am interested
in what is causing the colors.  I wonder if environmental and/or food
changes will cause the color to go back to what most consider normal.  Or,
maybe TPP ferrets have been bred to have more oil glands in their skin that
causes the different colors.  Only time will tell.

TPP had to cut back on the number of ferrets they could care for due to
health issues.  That, I'm sure was not an easy decision.  The Coles stepped
up to help Charley out.  A commendable feat indeed.  If the Coles are
taking on 400 ferrets - and I am not sure who came up with that number, I
haven't heard from the Coles since the Spokane show - these are not all
breeder ferrets.  Yes they came from a breeder, but the Coles intend on
spaying and neutering those who need to be, and I am sure many were retired
breeders to start with.  Yes, the Coles are taking most all the ferrets,
regardless of age.  Yes they have the means to take care of them.  Yes they
have paid staff come in to watch ferrets when they are out of town.  I wish
I could afford fulltime paid ferret sitters!

If you have the opportunity, get to know the Coles.  They are some of the
nicest people out on the show circuit today.  They do take good care of
their ferrets.  Please, get to know someone first hand before bashing them
in public.

Vickie McKimmey