From:
"Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:06:00 -0400
Lorraine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Am I crazy or does this seem like cruel and unusual punishment.  Why
>would anyone put a little guy into a sack and close it up.  So they can
>dry themselves?

I don't think the idea is to leave the ferret unattended while he's in
the sack.  We use a similar type of thing -- a drying pocket (if you have
a copy of Modern Ferret #26, you can see how we made it from a towel).
Some ferrets seem to not get the idea that towels are for drying.  We
have had several ferrets who are totally miserable after a bath and try
to dry themselves on the bare floor or in plastic tubes -- neither of
which help to ease their misery!  We made a pocket from a towel so we
could put the ferret inside and rub her to get her dry (the key being we
were there, rubbing the ferret, not just closing her into the pocket and
leaving her).  We'd found that simply wrapping the ferret in a towel and
rubbing her dry was not very effective, as the ferret would wriggle out
of the towel and run off to dry herself in the plastic tubes -- thus,
prolonging her misery.  The pocket makes it easier to contain the ferret
while rubbing her dry.  The ferret gets dry faster and is happier sooner.

--Mary & the Fuzzies

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor, Modern Ferret Magazine
Trixie, Koosh, & Gabby, The Modern Ferrets
Read my blog --
http://www.modernferretblog.com/mary