Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:29:00 CDT
Opening Eyes - The 3 years I bred my babies babies didn't open their eyes
until about 5 weeks.  I was concerned the first time but after that I
wasn't.  I wonder if the care the babies and mom recieve make a difference?
The more care the longer it takes?  This isn't to say other babies don't get
proper care but I do have a way of over doing.

Stools - There must be something going around.  I have seen the dark pudding
type diarrhea, cottage cheesy (is this the grainy/seedy type?), and mucousy
stools.  Everyone is still eating and drinking and playing fine.  Some days
some are more lethargic at times.  Occasional cough and sneezes.  I've had
it too so I'm not sure if we are passing it back and forth or what.

Maybe one of the doctors could post something on the different types of
stools and what they might mean.  I have a dog vet book that lists colors,
consistencies and the cause.  Can this be used for ferrets too.  I'd be
happy to post it.

Greenies - I understood the telling sign was florescent green and a terrible
smell.  I also thought dehydration was the killer.  I think it would be a
good idea to post successful treatments so we can all be prepared if the
greenies visit us.  If we don't want to clutter up the FML (although this is
important to all of us) I would like treatments emailed directly to me at

I compare ECE to parvo in dogs.  It is spread easily and can be deadly.
Even with medical and supportive care the animal may die.

Let's not condemn others but take care of our own backyard.  Voice your
concerns but don't point fingers.  If there is a problem with a shelter or
breeder contact one of the National Ferret Organizations for instructions on
what to do.

Hugs to all.  tle