From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:47:46 -0400
"Amy ." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I don't see the need in most situations that heartworm preventative is
>even necessary to use in ferrets.

I just recently lost a ferret to heartworm disease.  His previous owner
stupidly never saw the need to give him preventive meds.  He tested
positive for HWs on intake and was unable to survive them.  Albert was
an active, young, beautiful little boy who would still be with me if his
owner had only taken one minute a month to give him HW preventive.  BTW,
it only takes one heartworm to kill a ferret.

I know a couple of other people who also have HW positive ferrets.  They
too came from people who saw no need to give preventive.

Really sad.  If you live in an area with mosquitoes, heartworms is very
real.  I wonder how many vets even test for heartworms in ferrets.  It
may be a lot more prevalent than anyone realizes.

Katharine