Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:51:04 -0500
Permission granted to cross-post.

BACKGROUND:
In 2003, I began looking for individuals in each state willing to be a
"coordinator" for that state. It was my intention to develop a place
where we could have someone from each state as a contact who would help
disseminate information to those who lived in the state. I hoped that
this person would compile information about the shelters in the state
and develop an email list and even a mailing list of all the ferret
resources - vets, shelters, owners, clubs, pet stores that sell
ferrets, breeders - in the state. To do this, I knew that it would mean
that there would need to be more than one person to manage this, but
hoped it would lay the groundwork for us to begin a network to support
the ferret community. The goal was - and is - to help develop regional
support and be able to get help to people faster.

Since that time, three other groups have been created for specific
needs. Let me tell you a little more about all of the groups so you
will have some information about who is who and who does what.

CURRENTLY IN PLACE:
F.E.R.R.E.T. (http://www.ferretemergency.org) was formed to deal with
disaster situations. The mission of F.E.R.R.E.T. is to provide aid
to domestic ferrets during natural and man-made disasters such as
hurricanes, fires, floods, tornadoes and earthquakes. Members work to
help develop networks within the states OR to obtain training direction
for individuals to be qualified to deploy to disaster locations.
F.E.R.R.E.T. will assist with locating ferrets at risk; securing
temporary or permanent housing; transportation to safe locations;
supplies such as food, bedding, cages and accessories; securing
appropriate medical care; and providing disaster preparedness
information and resources to caregivers, veterinarians and volunteers.
The board consists of Vikki Caldwell, Lisa Leidig, Lisa Oestereich,
Cindy Scheidt and myself. We are currently in the process of
reorganizing F.E.R.R.E.T. to be more effective helping in disasters.
To join, if you have not already done so, send me an email at
[log in to unmask] (crdowns at gmail dot com) and tell me what you want
to do.

Following the Ohio rescue there was a lot of confusion. People wanted
information and people wanted to donate items. The NATIONAL FERRET
RESCUE (http://www.nationalferretrescue.org/) site was created by
someone who is not a member of any of these organizations to provide
information. It is an information dissemination site and a resource
gathering site that will ultimately have information for all the ferret
organizations involved in disasters and non-disaster rescues. It is not
a warehouse full of people who can go out and do the work, take the
ferrets and fund everything. However, the Ferret Council (see below)
will have access to that info, which means that all the groups
participating (AFA, FAA, FERRET, IFC & SOS) will have access to that
info. This way there is only ONE place the ferret community must go to
volunteer or to get info.

The FERRET COUNCIL (a multi-group council representing the AFA, FAA,
IFC, F.E.R.R.E.T. and SOS) was formed to help improve the use of
resources in the ferret community and to help individuals and shelters
needing assistance have the benefit of the ALL the groups by having
them all work together. The council has a representative from each
group and they will combine resources to assist in the rescue and
re-homing of ferrets in a large scale rescue, such as when breeders or
shelters suddenly close or the owner dies, as has happened in the past.
If you want to have input into developing guidelines as to how groups
like the AFA (http://ferret.org/),
IFC (http://www.ferretcongress.org),
F.E.R.R.E.T. (http://www.ferretemergency.org) and
SOS (http://www.supportourshelters.org) can help shelters in the event
of a large scale ferret rescue, please send an email to Barb Clay at
[log in to unmask] (barbclay at juno dot com). She has a shelter list
set up for input and there is also a general list for non-shelter
people who want to provide input for this. The entire purpose of this
council is provide a way to help get the most efficient and effective
help out there to large rescues, but does not in any way change what
the groups do as individual entities.

HOW TO HELP TRICKS OR TREATS:
Tricks or Treats Ferret Shelter in Houston area has been damaged and is
not usable at the time. All the ferrets are safe in foster homes and
Vicky Montgomery is also safe. At this time F.E.R.R.E.T. is working to
get the supplies Vicky needs to her. There are a total of 79 ferrets
and a specific list of items was requested. Those people who specified
how they could help are being contacted to send these items. If
additional items are needed a second request will be made. If you have
not joined the National Ferret Rescue site, please do so by writing

KIBBLE is needed and the brands Vicky uses have been ordered. It is
being shipped to her. As always, donations to help cover the cost of
shipping and anything needing to be purchased can be made through the
IFC to [log in to unmask] Be sure to mark it for the
IKE fund which will cover this. Money will be dispersed to other ferret
organizations as needed to help cover costs. If you want a receipt for
your tax-deductible contribution, please mention that, too.

Vicki also has NINE DOGS who need food. We are sending some of that,
too. If you want to assist with that, too, GIFT CARDS to Wal-Mart,
Target, Petco, PetsMart may also be appropriate and these can be sent
to:
Aimee Palmer
709 Wicklow Drive
Deer Park, TX 77536
281-930-0316

Updates and opportunities to assist will be made on the NATIONAL FERRET
RESCUE (http://www.nationalferretrescue.org). Please check that site
for information. For those interested in discussing assistance and what
you can do to help in this and ALL disasters, please join the IFC-FERT
list. (See: [log in to unmask] or contact the list
owner at [log in to unmask])

Thank you to everyone who is jumping in to help. This is doable and I
am sure tha Vicky will appreciate the help.

Renee

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we destroy