Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:48:11 -0300
A few weeks, maybe not back that far, there was a post from someone
wanting to know just how much Ferretone was enough or maybe it was that
the ferret drank quite a portion from a tipped over bottle.  I responded
to her stating from my readings that to my understanding, too much
Vitamin A could be toxic to a ferret, now to get down to figures of how
much is too much, I know not.

I found this on the FHL this am.  Here is a little further 'skinny' on
Ferretone:

>Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:00:00 -0500
>From: Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Too many Sweets?
>
>shelly palmer wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>May I please hear more on Vitamin A poisoning as a result of overdose on
>ferretone?  I don't give out gobs but I'd like to know about it just the
>same.
>
>----------
>RESPONSE:
>
>I didn't realize I would have to teach a class.  Okay, viatmin A is one
>of the fat soluable vitamins so it is not flushed out of the body by the
>kidneys like say, vitamin C, which is a water soluable vitamin.  If too
>much vitamin A builds up, it can make you sick.  My multivitamin has 5000
>I.U. which they say is 100% of a human's daily requirement.  Ferretone
>has 500 I.U. per 3/4 of a teaspoon.  They recommend giving 3/4 of a
>teaspoon per day to an adult ferret.  What I meant by not giving so much
>that you make him sick was, don't give more than about 3/4 tsp, on
>average
>
>--
>Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde
><end snip>

            Jadesun & Amber-Lynn
       missing Jade Elaine & Daisy Mai
       http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/jadesun
                   Mirror:
http://www.geocities.com/jadesun/index.htm
                   @->->-

[Moderator's note: The trouble with that is Russ assumes that ferrets are
just as sensitive to excess vitamin A as humans are.  One can't make such
cross-species generalizations with any guarantee of accuracy.  BIG]