From:
Pamela Paasche' O'Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 02:12:40 -0400
On the subject of using animals in laboratory testing, I am not going to
bother to get into the fact that just about every vaccine and medication for
humans and animals, as well as surgical procedures, treatments for all of
the ferret diseases like insulinoma and hypoadrenalcorticism, are only
possible because of testing, that treatments and medications ARE tested on
humans, (try getting involved in a few, I do about 4 a year, they can use
you - not animals - if people were more willing to participate.

I need to clarify this "life of pain and torture" that they live in.  I
worked as an animal care technician in a research laboratory for 5 years.
The conditions these animals are kept in would surprise you.  It isn't what
you have read by the animal rights propaganda brigade.  There are national
standards regarding caging, food, exercise, psychological stimulation,
cleaning etc.  These animals live better than those in any animal shelter I
have ever seen.  In fact these animals live better than most pets I have
ever seen.the people who work with the animals there do so because they love
animals.  We treat them as pets.  Pain and torture is not the goal.  It is
the desire of all who work with the animals to make their lives as good as
possible.  We realize that they are giving their lives to help us.  If you
are ever interested, read the Animal Welfare Act, contact the American
Association of Laboratory Animal Science to see one of these facilities,
it's not what you think

Sorry for the non ferret content.

Pam O