From:
Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:12:08 -0600
>What on earth is Bob C's Chicken Gravy??  .... I realize the fuzzy's will
>eat it when sick but do you also give it to them when they feel fine?  (I
>only have a blender.)

All my ferrets get chicken gravy once or twice a day, in addition to ferret
chow.  The healthy ferrets get it once a day, and the others twice or more,
depending on what's wrong with them. They all would prefer to eat only
chicken gravy, ever, if I'd let them. This morning Joe let me know that he
wanted gravy by putting his snout in his bowl  of fresh ferret chow and
tossing it all over the cage. Hannibal and Attila just recently learned to
bark (yes, bark) and now they bark loudly and often when they get hamburger
(a treat) or chicken gravy. Attila's hair sometimes stands up, even.
Chicken gravy is GOOD STUFF.

>I've just started feeding my boys raisins and wondered how many they can
>get a day?  I usually give them around 5 maybe twice a day.  Is this too
>much?

My two cents--yes, that is too much. Ten raisins is about a tablespoon,
and an average ferret weighs about 3 pounds---what would it do to your body
if you weighed 150 lbs and ate 50 tablespoons of raisins a day?  (Not an
especially good comparison, because we're able to digest sugars and carbos
a lot better than ferrets are.)  I don't give sweet treats except Ferretvite
or Nutrical in small amounts and not very often.  Some ferret owners
(including me) feel that too much carbohydrate in the diet can lead to or
worsen insulinoma.  Ferret chow already contains a lot of carbohydrates.