From:
MS JEANNE E STADTMILLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 02:05:50 EST
Hi Everyone -  I've been a "closet FML reader" for quite
some time and have enjoyed it - up until now.  I thought our
new fearless leader Bill Gruber was supposed to act as a
mediator, but I'm not sure where he stepped out of that job
to demean Dr. Tom Willard and Totally Ferret food.

[ Moderator's note: Being a moderator doesn't mean I won't voice my
  personal opinion - stated as such - when I have something to add.
  But it does mean I won't restrict you from posting your own, for
  which I thank you.  BIG ]

   I'm afraid I need  to step in here in Dr. Willard's
defense.  I'd like to make a few points in order.
   1.  I had a special problem in my household involving
thirteen ferrets with kidney damage.  Dr. Willard called me,
his own time and his own money, to offer any nutritional
assistance he could.
     2.  I was suitably impressed with the paperwork I
received from the Willards regarding Totally Ferret and its
ingredients.  I was EXTREMELY impressed with the articles on
Ferret Nutrition that Dr. Willard wrote and sent out to all
clubs for free publication in our newsletters. I'm NOT
talking "walking ads" here, folks, I'm talking fantastic
educational material on ferrets, their dietary requirements
and how  each of those requirements affects the animal.
     3. Regarding the food itself -  out of my 18 ferrets,
only 3 would even eat Marshall Ferret Food.  After three
days, most of them would not eat any more - or anything that
was in the dish with it. I threw out an expensive box of it.
  All of my ferrets, with no eception, went crazy for
Totally  Ferret (I must admit, it surprised me, too) -
It is so easily digestible that even  my kidney damaged
ferrets can eat it -  and have been weaned off Hills K/D.
Their energy level has gone way up -  they all weigh a good
 2-5 ounces more than their top winter weight previously and
their coats are longer and more beautiful than ever before.
     4.  I would like to mention two concerns I have about
Marshall Ferret food, as well, if I may.  First of all,
Marshall Ferret diet is a modified mink diet, I believe.
Ferrets are MEAT eaters -  Minks are fish eaters.  One whiff
of a box of Marshall food will tell a  story. It smells like
the seafood department of a grocery store.
    I also have a major concern about their cooking process.
 Marshall food is cooked at a low temperature, to make a
softer food.  First off, soft food is not good for ferrets
and will not clean their teeth.  Second of all, there  is a
certain amino acid (I believe it is) that is NOT good and is
 removed through cooking.  I have heard concerns that their
process of low temperature cooking does not kill off this
particular amino acid.   Sorry, I'm just not willing to
pay the price.
     I  DO have  Performance Foods address and phone number
if anyone would like it.(E-mail me) I have heard mostly rave
reviews for Totally Ferret and certainly would like to add
my review to the list.   I admit, I am no great fan of the
AFA either (not anymore, at least) -  but most of the
L.I.F.E. affiliates would add their positive  feedback as
well.
    Thanks for allowing  me to vent ---
              Jeanne Stadtmiller, President
              Ferrets and Friends of Upstate NY