From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 21:17:59 -0500
I plan to have all my future fuzzies come from shelters (not that
I'm planning to add to my fuzzie family yet - I'm holding at three).
Although, I can understand the emotions that must come into play when
one sees a ferret in a bad situation.  I don't think these ferrets should
be bought if it can be helped (stonger action should perhaps be called
for so that the ferret is taken by animal control or given free).  But I
shudder to think of these ferrets being left to suffer, think of
Lisette's little Maria who has her "happy ever after" now.
Unfortunately, the abundance of ferrets at pet stores will cause many
more uneducated people to get ferrets.  But that's not always the case.
Some people who don't research their pets will still go out of their way
to obtain an "exotic" animal.  There are also those that learn of ferrets
through pet store experiences, and then really learn to love and care for
them.  My first fuzzie was well researched and then bought from a pet
store.  My second was an impulse a year later (I had been debating) when
a small kit grabbed my heart at a pet store.  Two was enough for me (the
decision of even getting a second was more for my first ferret than for
me) but then I got a computer.  By then I was obsessed with ferrethood,
and ferret info was all I looked up on the internet.  Then I found a
shelter's website in my state.  Then I read Jillie's bio.  Then I went
to meet Jillie and have since (in addition to adopting Jillie) made a
lifelong friend of the wonderful shelter operator.  If you want a ferret
to grab your heart, if you want an instant bond with a special ferret, if
you want to give a ferret who's suffered a happy ending......go to a
ferret shelter!  But for those who find their little needing soul at a
pet store, I can understand.

Dooks
Risa