Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 04:40:49 -0700
For the a/d I spooned everything out of the can and put it in a
container to store in the refrigerator. I took about 15 mls of the
a/d and added about 20-25 mls of water and warmed in the microwave. I
stirred it with a spoon and ended up with a whole lot of tiny pieces
of a/d in the water. He did eat about 10 - 12 mls of this a/d and then
wanted to back out of my arm or climb up to my shoulder. I brought him
back to the a/d several times and decided that if I pushed too hard it
could cause him to not want to eat at all. I then mixed 15 - 20 mls of
pureed chicken with water and warmed in the microwave. He ate about 10
- 12 mls of this and then wasn't interested any more. One point here is
he has been getting the chicken for over a month now so I know he eats
it.

We took him into the vet who found he has a mass in his abdomen which
is very painful for him. He found it by palpation and by ultrasound and
wants us to bring him back Monday or Tuesday to do a needle biopsy,
because he was very swamped on Saturday.

I was able to get him to eat beachnut chicken and turkey baby food over
the remainder of the weekend. I fed him 1/2 jar 4 times a day. Today he
looks a lot better and was trotting around after I gave him meds and
chicken baby food this morning. He even climbed to the top of a piece
of ferret furniture about 3 feet high. He looks like he feels better
too. I'm thinking of putting off the vet until Thursday or later to
give us a chance to get more weight on him. I also don't like the idea
of putting him under anesthesia to do a needle biopsy.

I will keep him on the baby food until I get a couple ounces on him
then I will see about getting back to the pureed chicken and then try
a/d again but mixing it as some have described.

I will keep everyone updated on his progress. Our vet told us that
recovering from ECE can take 3 - 6 months or more.

Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement.

Mike