Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:40:51 EDT
>I had a ferret who died and miss him a lot still, so I know how many of
>you feel, but don't you think it's going just a little far to talk about
>the rainbow bridge and talk as if they were your children?

Dear Annoyed...
Obviously what you are forgetting is that for a lot of ferret folks, they
are they're children.  Some people are just more obviously affected by
the loss of a pet more than others.  I was devastated when my Kodo passed
and devastated again when I lost a ferret I was caring for and felt
better to talk about it.  But then again everyone is different when it
comes to dealing with the loss of a pet just like they are different in
respects to the loss of loved ones.  There are time when I look at my
Kodo's picture on my desk still and feel a great sadness.  That I posted
a tribute to him on the anniversary of his passing.  Does that make me a
fanatic?  ... maybe but so what.  That just means that I feel a deeper
sense of loss in his passing than you might understand.

>I have pets that are like a part of the family, but it is still not the
>same thing as an actual child.  Nor could a ferret ever replace a child..

Okay, no one ever said that a ferret could replace a child.  I have a
child and she is my greatest joy.  But, I do love my ferrets but in a
different way.  NO one or nothing could ever replace my daughter.  I've
heard the greatest minds say a person should never put her children in
front of her husband.  BS.  I never put my animals in front of a living
breathing child and my husband would be the same way.  My child comes
first ... they are always a step beyond.  But that again doesn't mean
it's wrong to love animals as much.  Love for Animals is different from
people love and your suggestion is just asinine.

>When I joined this email list I thought it was to just get information
>about health issues with ferrets and also to adopt ferrets out that need
>homes and so forth, but so many people are posting endless things that
>have little to do with the purpose of this group

Once again, your opinion.  I think this group is great as BIG says it's
to cover everything and everyone does just fine at that.  Skim over what
you don't want to read.

>I also got very offended when several of you posted things about feeding
>your ferrets live mice and rats and then making a joke of it.  Why is it
>that some of the ones so partial to ferrets don't also feel the same
>love and compassion for other types of animals?

You know I get very offended when people assume they understand
something.  Maybe there is someone who makes jokes... I would prefer my
ferrets go to a more natural diet but it would be frozen (thawed) I too
have a hamster and can't imagine feeding a live animal to my ferrets just
cause I think its gross ... but I do understand the healthful benefits it
brings.  I have compassion for every animal but that doesn't mean that
someone feeding live animals (mice, rats whatever) to there ferrets when
that's what they are designed to naturally eat is wrong and neither
should you.  Sheesh I cringe when I watch on Discovery a lion taking down
an Elk but it doesn't mean it's wrong to say Geez, ya see that, man that
lion is powerful.  I feel sorry for the Elk and compassion but that IS
natures way.  Feeding kibble is not.

The way it is: if you don't like what someone has to say by all means
don't read it.

If you don't like that people feel better about talking about the passing
of a beloved pet then by all means ignore it.  But don't blame people
because they are different from yourself.  that only makes you a
hypocrite.

Sincerely,
Leanne B
The Human KID (Britney)
The Fur KIDS (Cocoa, Cali, Tig, Jewels, Rascal and Pugs)
The Dog KIDS( Lucky, Cassie and Shasta)
The Cat KIDS ( Nala and Patches)
and The widdle Hamster KID  (Stuart)