From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 11:39:53 -0400
  To all concerning vaccine reactions (Thank you Laura) -

>Just for further clarification on the vaccination thing -- Katie's
>right about the decreased effect in the rump as opposed to the head or neck --
>at least as far as localized reactions go (I don't know about systemic
>reactions -- Drs.?).  The reason being that shots given in the rump are given
>in the muscle, whereas shots given in the neck/shoulder area are given
>subcutaneously -- or under the skin -- there are many more mast cells (which as
>Dr. Williams mentioned are big culprits in allergic reactions) in the skin than
>in muscle, so I presume this is the reason for the increased local reaction
>when given subcutaneously.  Cats have been known to get some pretty severe
>long-term local reactions to rabies vaccines given subcutaneously, and since we
>often extrapolate from cats to ferrets, it is always better to give a rabies
>vaccine to ferrets in the rump rather than in the shoulder as distemper
>vaccines often are.

        There are reasons to give vaccinations in different places.  Some are
made to go subq, while others require areas with a good blood circulation (i.e.
the muscle of the hindlimb) so the medication is quickly distributed - this is
the reason most antibitotics are given in the behind (people and animals).
Vaccines generally don't matter where you give them - but some are licensed to
be given under the skin, and some (including almost all rabies vaccines at this
time) have to go into muscle.

        Conerning local reactions, I have seen approximately a dozen local
vaccine ractions in ferrets over the last two years - generally just
inflammatory nodules that persist in the tissue as bumps for 4-6 months.  Unlike
what we are currently seeing in cats, which develop some highly malignant
tumors, no neoplasms have been seen in ferrets, and it is now my #1 differential
for a non-ulcerated bump around the neck and shoulders.  Once they are removed,
there's no further problem.

      Skin often tends to "trap" vaccine and otehr foreign material within the
fibrous connective tissue, where it may be essentially walled off and form a
noudle.  But in the muscle, the large network of vessels takes the injected
material away quickly.  But I don't know of any difference in systemic ractions
between the two sites....

        To Mike Janke concerning Max's prepuce -

        There are a couple of things that can go wrong with the prepuce (or
sheath, the fleshy covering which encloses the penis) -

        Trauma is not uncommon, especially among playfighting ferrets.  There is
a normal bacterial flora that lives there with no problem, but if there is a
break in the skin for any reason, they may set up shop and cause a local
infection.

        Next you can have balanoposthitis, essentially a mild infection of the
sheath where the normal flora is altered (often by the animal licking the area
and inoculating it with bugs from the oral cavity).  With this, you often see a
slight greenish discharge which sticks to the hair.  Careful cleaning over
several days clears it up, but it may recur in animals which have this
fascination.

        The sheath has a lot of sweat glands.  Cysts or tumors of these sweat
glands are very common - any bumps in this area can be surgically removed and
checked by a patholgoist for neoplasm.  I have seen several rather nasty
malignant tumors arising in this area, but mostly they are just simple benign
cysts.

        I'd keep a close eye on the problem, give the anitbiotic s some more
time to work, and also dcleanse the area daily with a dilute antibacterial soap,
and if there is no improvement in 5 days, or it gets worse, go back and see the
doc...

Bruce Williams