Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 12:41:55 -0700
I'm sure this won't be a popular topic but I am in need of advice.  I have a
1 1/2 year old "retired" research ferret.  (I had nothing to do with his
research only with his current home).  Rikkitikkitavi came to me neutered
but not descented.  He was one of those that when reprimanded would stink to
get me back.  After long thought I decided to have him descented at a local
vet.  First off he came home with no antibiotics (which I was suprised
about) and really bad bruising (they said one sac burst while they were
removing it).  The next day he definately had an infection.  I went back to
the vet and was seen and given antibiotics for free.  10 days later he began
to have trouble deficating.  He strains a bit to get it out and the volume
is definately smaller than presurgery.  He acts great, eat and drinks well.
I went back yet again and was given more antibiotics and steriods
(dexamethasone) for inflamation.  10 days later he's no better.  Actually
now his little bottom is a bit raw from dragging to get all the feces off.
So I gave up and went to another vet.  She was very concerned with a
stricture and suggested a high fiber diet (to help pass stool).  I'm still
worried though.  I worry that the high fiber diet won't give him enough
protien or fat but I don't know what I should do instead.  I'm giving him a
bit of laxatone everyday to help ease things.  I just hate seeing him have
trouble at his litter box and can't help but feel responsible.  Like I said
he's doing great in all other respects I just wish there was something that
could be done....

Any ideas, suggestion, similar experiences?  I'd appreciate a line or
two...thanks...

Kat

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*  http://www.thuntek.net/~artemis *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*