From:
Loni & Ed Wolfrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 00:21:58 -0500
The key to getting better care for ferrets kept by pet store owners might be
assistance.  For the most part, smaller pet stores can be reasoned with
easier...even if it takes a while.  Larger ones take a bit more...but it CAN
be done.

Give them written info: They might be busy at the moment, and can't absorb
what you're telling them.  Make up booklets to give to them to give out with
the ferrets they sell.  If you have a shelter...'Advertise' on the back.  It
doesn't have to be complicated or illustrated, and you can field the info
calls instead of a ignorant shop helper, and make a few friends besides.
The pet store doesn't have to take time out to give the (possibly) wrong
info.  Some even become part-time volunteers for your shelter that you can
train in the best way to treat their pets.  Get some ferret FAQs to give the
pet shop owner to peruse; my favorite pet store owner lends her copy out to
new owners on an honor system, and my requests for better ferret supplies
and food have given her much better sales figures as ferret owners have
discovered her and passed the word.  Another 'selling point' for being
listened to.  The more help you are to them, especially when it comes to
their pocketbooks...the better it is for the ferrets.  An employee who sees
the 'boss' call you by name and smile when he/she sees you came into their
store is not as likely to brush you off when you ask a question or make a
request.  They can be a strong ally when you need them, and might just help
you when they can.

Speaking of pet-stores...the best one around here just informed me that the
local Animal Control is having a photo contest...and she'd like to see some
ferrets win a place in the calendar this time.  Anyone have some really cute
ferret pics that might be used?  If so send one to me with an SASE to return
the pics (if possible) but don't put your address on the back...just your
name and the ferrets' name(s) to match up with the envelopes and for the
calendar.  This is a fund raiser for Animal Control when they sell the
calendar, but these people are worth the effort... There's not a Karen Burns
in the bunch.  My little ambassador was met with coos and tickles.  When I
told them about Kodo, the one holding Dot held her even closer and looked at
me with shock, then told her there was nothing to worry about here...No one
was 'gonna lay a hand one on this lil darlin'.

e-mail me privately for the address for the calendar.

Loni