Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:32:00 EDT
Rochelle, I may be wrong on this, and I hope I am.  I read your post about
Fezzik and it struck me how similar your story was to our recent experience
with ECE.  Our ferret was recovering from surgery when he contacted some
outside kits from an ECE zone.  You wrote very recently that you are
fostering 2 from Obahdiahs.  People involved with that shelter have written
here about their ravages with ECE.   It may not be active there, but the
shedding may still be going on.  These 2 may have had it before they went to
Obahdiahs for all I know.  My point is that Fezzik was weakened, has had
outside contact, and is now having extreme symptoms.  We've been there.  It
fits too well not to be considered.   If correct, this too is an example of
my owner "denial" theory that a sudden ECE strike is really baffling when
you've never seen it before.   You don't give time frames, but all this
seems close enough to your fostering post to qualify.  The slight extra
delay may be attributable to the meds he was already on to heal his gut.

Jessica, Justine, and Hal, one of our ferrets took a long time to be clear
of the slight greens.  He still will get it on occasion and we are 1 1/2
months plus from onset.  We ended up giving him some small doses of
prednisone to quiet his gut and I've seen it used by other people's vet
(e.g., Melissa Litwicki).  It seemed to put an end to things when time and
nothing else would.  We give him a small pred boost when he has 2 greens in
a row and it stops for some time.   Might be worth exploring with your vet.
We think he too has chronic damage and that it may take some effort to
really end (we hope).

To the person who posted about wobbly rear legs, another of our ferrets got
very wobbly and has recovered say 85% of his previous mobility.
Unfortunately, Dr. Williams has stated that it is possible that full use
may not return.   We too are trying things to help him and will post if we
have any luck.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \