From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:59:33 -0800
First the following started with Sandee and now I see messages to someone
calling herself Sara Ferret.  I am not at all trying to be nasty, but I
just don't get it.  These women are just human beings who created stories
and gave themselves email addresses.  Suddenly everyone is sending them
messages asking them to greet their beloved deceased animals as if
these two women are REALLY greeting them in heaven.  Some people may be
comforted by their stories, but it amazes me that so many flmers are
acting as if this is real.  Where does reality start and fantasy end?
Is it worth it to be comforted at all costs, even when you know it's not
true?  It seems to me that this is a cult following of sorts.  All it
takes is for one person to write a cute story and tell everyone she is
greeting their ferrets as they "cross the bridge" and next thing ya know
she has a following of people who are giving her a Godly title and even
calling her an angel sent by God!  Do you not see how you might just be
going too far?  Do you not see how imperfect people making up stories on
the internet are NOT God?  Did it occur to anyone that this whole thing
is getting way out of hand and off balance?  From what I was told
religion topics are not even allowed on the FML.  I was told it was "off
topic".  Looking at it from a balanced FAIR perspective that would also
mean that the Sandee and Sara Ferret posts are off topic, because they
are indeed promoting one's own personal religious beliefs, or cult
following.  If one isn't allowed then it stands to reason these posts are
quite irrelevant as well - as religion is being brought up every time.

[SH]

[Moderator's note: While I understand your point, and always have, I
don't agree that these posts are at all about religion.  They're about
ferrets and grieving.  Heaven is not mentioned, but even if it was it
would be in the same class as someone saying "God, bless her soul." --
it's not discussing religion but rather, the loss of a ferret and ways to
deal with it within the beliefs of the poster.  By your strict definition
we'd also have to ban posts which mention things like a Christmas party.

Now, if someone was to post trying to tell us that we MUST (or must NOT)
write to Sandee because of religious beliefs then I'd say the post was
about religion.  But writing to Sandee is in itself not about religion.
Did I confuse everyone yet?

I agree sometimes it's hard to know where to draw the line.  I really
don't see these posts are promoting any particular religious belief
though.  Comments are always welcome -- I did receive one other comment
similar to yours but MANY more in favor of the Sandee posts.  BIG]