From:
Larissa & Steve Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:40:57 -0000
I have a 3 yr old ferret diagnosed with a likely insulinoma (borderline
glucose, insulin levels).  He is on predinsone.  That has really perked him
up, but when we discovered he was sick, the symtoms were throwing up and not
eating.  He only has those symptoms for a few days and after he spent
another few days at the vet being force fed and on an IV, he was fine.  The
problem is, the only time he eats is when we hand feed him wet food (he'll
eat from the spoon if he's feeling generous...) and he obviously has a
hearty appetite when we hand feed him ( 4 - 5 times a day).  I acknowledge
he is probably a bit spoiled at this point, but to the point that he'll
gladly be held for 20 minutes (he is not a patient ferrety soul) and forego
food for 8 hours while we sleep?  Any advice on weaning him back to eating
his hard food on his own?  He has been on carafate for a possible ulcer for
@ 2 weeks and Prednisone for 1 week.

I currently have two adorable 3-yr. old MF ferrets.  The male seems to be
an alpha male so we would like to get another young female ferret.  Can
anyone help on a breeder or shelter in South Florida?

Thanks,
Larissa Payne