Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:57:08 -0700
I was very upset that anybody would post anything discouraging about people
volunteering at shelters (see ferretdiva's last post).  I understand the
frustration that she has when people commit and then do not show up again,
but what is the harm in that?  Isn't it better to have SOME help versus no
help?  Besides that, the same person who helped out may have actually
learned something beneficial about ferrets and may become a better ferret
owner in the long run.  PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW THIS POST TO DISCOURAGE YOU
FROM HELPING A SHELTER!  There are many shelters out there that would love
and appreciate the help.  Unfortunately, the one that Debbie experienced,
is not very "people" friendly.

I must say to everyone that I learned so much this past weekend.  Michael
Mckinley, Charleen Schuster and I drove six hours to Tracy Kilmer's Ferret
Rescue of Spokane to help out with the garage sale, clean (not even
necessary), clip toes, clean ears, and just spend some time with a
wonderful group of people.  The weekend was both heart-wrenching and happy
for me.  What Tracy does for these animals is incredible!  She is the most
amazing soul I have ever encountered and I really admire her - everything
is for the animals.  She spends all of her time taking care of others and
is the most selfless person.  I also had the pleasure of meeting Don Brand
who is a breeder, and will be getting my new baby from him in August.  He
is great and is a wonderful help to the shelter as well.

I encourage all of you who are in the Washington area (or dedicated
travelers) to come to the August 7th event at Alki and the August 8th event
in Issaquah.  Ferrets are welcome, of course, but you can just come even if
you do not bring your ferrets.  We will have games, prizes, an auction and
Jeanne Carley will be guest speaking.  For details about the event, you can
call email me or contact Michael Mckinley (WSFA Director).  It should be
spectacular!

Dooks to you!

Danielle (the two-legged wonder), Rastferretin, Cleo "duchess of Dook" and
Dopey (hey, guys, where ya goin'?)