From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:17:56 -0500
Despite all of the things said so far I do NOT think that ST really will
gas those ferrets, even if only for economic reasons.  The word is the
that farms can get extensions on the housing improvements, and selling
them would provide money he could use for the assorted applications that
derive from the many parts of this complex puzzle.

Check into things yourself.  That is always the best way.

One aspect of the angora picture is that there is documentation of head
and nasal deformities with them, and there have been many mentions of the
worst being put down and of high infancy death rates, so for each which
comes to market there are those who die.  I personally think of these as
"the forgotten ones" when people go for fancy lines that have higher than
typical rates of handicaps and deaths.  We all tend to remember the
breeders, and we think a lot about the ferrets who join our homes, but
those who die (and the lines which increase the rates of doomed ones)
tend to be forgotten, but they should not be.

(I tried to see if any of the pages where people had photos of some bad
angora heads and nostrils (drainage can be bad due to shape, size, and
overabundance of fur, setting the stage for potential painful and chronic
sinus infections) but the old sites I found are not currently up.  Anyone
have pointers to any current sites showing examples?

Again, read a lot and be sure to verify, verify, verify stuff from
anyone, including from me, when possible.  It's the best way to go since
anyone can make a mistake and because anyone can find some new info which
changes a picture.