From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 16:57:30 -0400
Given the document which Linda saw, the only conclusion I can reach is that
the acquaintance I have acquired at Marshall Farms had been misinformed.  As
anyone in a large company or in a university knows sometimes the left hand
is doing something the right hand knows nothing about.  I've let him know.

On the other side, so many of the descriptions coming in have been of
animals obviously older than the given age that I also suspect that many of
the reported cases are due to pet shop employee ignorance: in age, in
feeding, and in care.  I know enough to trust reports from folks like Troy
Lynn and Linda, though.  They know ferrets backwards and forwards.  If they
have seen a few young ones then it happens at times and needs to be
investigated and tackled, hopefully from WITHIN Marshall Farms as has been
requested.

I trust this person to TRY to improve things so I am giving him a chance.
His past actions show a great respect for ferret wellbeing: the program to
donate retired breeders into veterinary schools (where they teach
sterilization, and then are adopted out -- making more veterinary students
interested in ferrets and more familiar with them), legislation efforts,
funding to help with some of the medical veterinary research studies to
improve ferret health care (as in funding studies toward hopes of a possible
future ECE vaccine), etc.  These are the actions of someone who cares about
the animals.  They are also the kinds of actions a company would not take if
it did not have some concern for the wellbeing of animals.  I do not know if
my contact is in a position where he will have the ability to make sure that
young animals are not shipped at all, even in small numbers, but I sincerely
hope that he does.

It may well be that if Marshall Farms does NOT feel that they are
damned-if-they-do-and-damned-if-they-don't, that even the most hardened of
the management will recognize the competitive necessity of fulfilling the
desires of potential customers.  If folks are going to believe them of being
the Devil Incarnate, though, then they will come to the conclusion that they
don't have to deal with the costs of later shipment because they won't win
no matter what.  This part -- the part of being logical is in OUR court.
Let's try for a balanced position.  These folks aren't angels and they
aren't devils; they and their company are just like the rest of us and our
workplaces: individuals and organizations with room for improvement.  How do
YOU like to learn about the ways you can do your job better?  If we extend
the same curtesy then they will realize that improvement can be profitable
as well as being just plain the right thing to do.  It's not like dealing
with profit-only backyard puppy mills -- this is an established business
with a good history and a reputation to care about.

For the folks who have been posting the age things: even a 8 week or older
kit can still be balancing somewhat on its belly, and size is going to vary
depending on genetics, gender, and how well the individual has eaten (which
the pet stores and distributors can influence negatively with the wrong food
or by not making sure that each individual ferret is getting enough food).
Use whether the eyes are open, and use the TEETH.  The eruption dates will
quite reliably age the kit.  These observations can be documented by your
vet -- after all, the vet should see new additions before they meet the
others to check for things like exposure to coccidea (which can happen in
a pet store -- we've encountered a store with that problem in its assorted
mammals), and then will have to see them afterward for vaccinations and
health reasons.  Here are the eruption ages: Upper C 50 days, M1 53 days,
P2-4 60 days; Lower C and M1 50 days, P2 60 days, P3 67 days, P4 and M2 74
days.  Ask the vet to look for first signs of eruption, of course.  After
all, we humans don't get in our incisors at 48 but danged if mine haven't
already erupted <G>.

Be logical.  Be fair.  Forget the rumor mill.  Work for change
CONSTRUCTIVELY.  The history here is one which DOES include efforts to
improve conditions for ferrets; work with that foundation.  It is the only
approach which has hope for marked success.

Sukie