From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:15:36 -0600
Just an update on Tinder, my kidney failing ferret.  I think we are into
week 10 and she is still hanging in there.  Her diet consists of 1/2 small
jar of baby food (Jr Meat - Chicken with Broth) the other half, Boost (ant
flavour).  1 cm of Nutrivit, 1 drop of Linatone and now 2" of fresh banana.
It turns out that Lasix depletes the potassium levels in the ferret, so
giving the banana keeps it in check, since it is a good source of
potassium.  And wouldn't ya know, ferrets just love banana!  It's all mixed
in a blender and she gets this twice a day.  Well now she gets it four
times a day since the fluid is putting pressure on her stomach making her
fill up sooner.  She still eats the same amount, but now she eats her meals
in quarters.

On the other side of things a guinea pig has now made its way into our
household.  Bear, my 3 year old sable fert, decided that it needed to be
acclimatized to ferrethood and social hierarchy.  She initially sniffed at
the stranger and then started to go after the GP's neck - top, not the
throat!  Squirt, the GP, started his squealing and teeth clacking (even
though no hold was made) and the two were separated quickly.  The neck day
I tried to introduce them again and Bear was persistent in checking Squirt
out.  This time Squirt immediately starting the teeth clacking and as Bear
darted forward, took a second thought and backed off immediately.  It has
been 5 days since Squirt has made a home in our house and Bear has decided
that she has checked him out enough.  She strolls by his cage every now and
again just to say that she is still watching but has no interest in
subduing him anymore.  For some reason he is not as interesting as her
fellow fertsters who she takes new pleasure in tormenting!  What a bully in
such a small body.  ;)

Betty and her Blur O'Fur