From:
"Eric S. Sampson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:15:51 EST
Brian wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has had experience with having both snakes &
>ferrets before?

Brian: I've kept both carpet snakes and the regular kind for two years now,
and, as you pointed out, keeping them apart is the best policy.  I've never
let mine interact, and the snakes are kept in a separate room that the
ferrets don't have access to.  The only scare I had was when a juvenile corn
snake escaped on me.  The ferret (only had one at the time) had to be caged
for a day while I tore the place apart.  Once the corn snake was located
(she hasn't escaped since--*knock knock*) the fuzzy could come back out.  I
do wash my hands with antiseptic soap if I've been handling the ferrets and
I need to handle the snakes (I wash between snakes, too).  I reckon a snake
might smell ferret on you and strike out of fear, but I've yet to see it in
my guys (I had my corn out in the room where the ferrets play a lot--ferrets
were busy in the basement destroying my office--and she didn't seem to care.
She was more interested in climbing the X-mas tree.)
Hope that helps, Eric