From:
Sara Anton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 21:50:58 -0400
I have an albino ferret named Frita.  We have had her for about two and a
half years.  She was found walking along a NJ road by a friend of my sons
who gave her to him.  She seemed to be quite young at the time so my guess
is that she is under three years old.  We knew nothing about ferrets but
have had many cats, dogs, rats and mice as pets.  Our Siamese cat was
terrified of her at first but now tolerates her.  Frita is very small -
under two pounds and is a very happy ferret.  She has the freedom of the
house 24 hours a day with the exception of the third floor.  She is not
litter trained but prefers to use corners of the bathrooms.  We have been
feeding her Exceed - a premium dry cat food sold at Sam's Warehouse.  Water
and the dried food are left out for her and the cats at all times and they
eat when they wish.  She seems to have made a schedule for herself -
appearing and disappearing at about the same times every day.  She almost
always comes when she hears the automatic garage door so she can rummage
through the grocery bags and perhaps drag a cucumber or a tomato to the
basement.  She has never even nipped at anyone.  Her pet peeve is closed
doors and she has mastered opening the kitchen cabinets by lying on her
back, prying them open and scooting in.  She is a very enjoyable pet and we
were lucky to have gotten her as we never would have even thought of getting
one on her own.  It is a little disappointing reading the Ferret FML as we
find that many of her "tricks" are not unique but merely ferret behavior.