From:
Joelene Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:49:34 EST
This is my first time writing the FML, Hi I am Joelene.  I have had the
privilege of volunteering for 24 Carat Ferret Rescue & Shelter the past
14 months.  The love I have received from the people I have met as well
as the ferrets is special.  My background is nursing so I just naturally
got involved in fostering the critical and chronically ill and unstable
ferrets.

Those fur kids are so special and the love they showered upon me has been
one of the most wonderful experiences of my life as well as the most
heartbreaking, when I lose one.  I have fostered as many as thirty
ferrets all on meds and Duck soup.

This past September 11th my oldest son was killed on his motorcycle on
his way to work and emotionally and financially I cannot stay any longer
in Las Vegas.  I will be moving to the Reno area with family and as many
of my fosters my family will allow.

I am heart broken that I am financially unable to take all twenty with me
and it will be so hard to leave all of those kids I have come to love so
much.  There are so many sweet loving ferrets at the Shelter who need a
forever home for the rest of their lives.  There is Dabby she is naked
has adrenal and insulinoma but doing extremely well on Pred and Duck
soup.  she is such a delight to watch, she has great spirit.  She dashes
about chattering and playing and begs to be held by climbing up your leg,
her brother Sinbad is fat and healthy and he loves his Dabby Doo.  He
always allows her to eat soup first and finishes what she doesn't.  Not
that he needs it, he is a rolly polly fat boy who loves to lie on his
back and play dead.

There are the as I call the the Scottish girls, their owners had to
return to Scotland so they brought them to the shelter last year.  Meg is
the only one with an illness, she had mild insulinoma and only requires
1/4 Pred daily, her sisters Moshe and Molly are fat and sassy with no
problems other than they need someone to adopt them and love them.  they
are sweet girls.  They lost their other cagemates to insulinoma over the
past year

There is Minky and Wolfy a sweeter pair as you'd ever meet, both have
Insulinoma and Adrenal DZ and are controlled on medication, Wolfy
recently had to start on Lasix as well.  Minky is frisky and loves her
soup.  She is at the cage climbing when she sees me starting morning and
evening meds and soup.  Wolfy is a quiet guy with a sad look in his eyes
most days.  He loves to be held and loved, he too loves his soup.  He is
sweet and affectionate and Minky is frisky and active.

Then there is Raptor who was so sick and thin when I first got him as
a foster I was sure he would not make it, along with his cagemates
WednesdaY and Jack.  Raptor is now a butterball, active and playful and
loves his soup as do his cagemates.  They all suffer from Insulinoma and
Wednesday Adrenal.  They would love to have someone to just give them
some quality time for the remainder of there lives.

We have Frick, Terry, Boba and Lazy, only Frick has Insulinoma Terry,
Boba and Lazy Adrenal.  These four kids will accept anyone in their cage
and love them and nurture them.  They would love to have someone take
them home and love and pay attention to them.  Terry and Bobba are the
active and playful girls jumping and dancing and chattering and the boys
are laid back and affectionate.  then there is Trixie and Nipper, Trixie
is healthy Nipper has Adrenal and Insulinoma but active and playful and
loves to play with there neighbors below, Rebel and Rascal both girls,
Rascal is healthy and Rebel has Insulinoma.  The four love to be out
toghther and sometimes get switched cages they look so much alike.  They
are definately four sweet kids who deserve a good home with lots of love
and attention.

We have Snowball and Cocoa who are both very sweet and loving kids,
Snowball has Insulinoma , cocoa is healthy.We have Loki and Kula, Kula
has Insulinoma and mild Adrenal, Loki is healthy.  Both kids have cared
for and lost cagemates and came together to consol each other, they are
loving and sweet and could use a good home.

We have a vbery special needs girl Poo who has gone blind and would love
someone to love her and feed her Ferrivite as much as possible.  Ther is
Lizzette, a thin but no diseases yet little girl who hates other ferrets
and can be grouchy and Nippy until she gets to know you then she is
sweet.  then there is Marilyn Monroe who hads Adrenal and came to us
Naked but gained most of her coat back after Luperon.  she loves to run
the house and chatter.  She is aa special and really pretty girl who'd
love to have a forever home with someone.Probably the sweetest pair we
have is Singz and Genie, Singz is blind and Genie is adrenal.  I can't
tell you how sweet these two kids are and loving, Singz gets around at
playtime very well and Genie is another frisky little female who loves
to play.  He loves to cuddle.  There are many more here that are in need
of a generous soul who take them in and give them the quality time they
deserve.  the rewards are so great.

i have loved them all and will be sad to leave behind a place where I
felt at home and was loved by so many great little kids.  I know every6
face and bald spot and what each ones little or big personality is like.
I will always remember the ones I have loved and lost and how much i feel
for CJ and all of the volunteers i have had the privilidge to know.  I
cannot say enough about how great the works of this shelter is.  I hope
all that read this think about the ferrets at this shelter who could use
a home and love and how much you would receive for that act of kindness
and love.  Adopt a special needs kid, you will get more than you give.