From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:37:25 -0700
Yes it is hard to know what they have wrong with them..  We have two here
in the shelter like that.

Nibbles had surgery this spring.  She had an enlarged right adrenal.
They closed her up per our request.  She is home with us, running around
and even growing her winter fur in.  She doesn't know she sick, and
honestly she doesn't care.

Zeus had surgery in July.  He had an enlarged right adrenal and about 20
nodules on his pancreas (Insulinoma).  They closed him up per our request
also.  He is at home, running around and growing some fur (he was pretty
much bald when we got him).  He hasn't figured out that he is sick
either.

Just this week we started them on melatonin.  We have heard it helps so
figured we would give it a shot.

These two kids love life.  I am sure they have figured out that they are
sick, but they don't let it stop them.  They just enjoy each day as if
there is no tomorrow..  We could learn so much from our ferrets.

We have Bugz here who is just over 12 years old.  He has cardiomyopathy
and Insulinoma.  He gets meds twice a day.  Soup three or more times a
day.  We know he will pass over soon... but each day that he has here
with us we will let him know just how much we love him.  He will have
all of our love, devotion and whatever else his heart desires.

Knowing is hard. but not knowing is almost harder..

Recently..Abby was diagnosed with lymphoma on Saturday.  On the next
Tuesday she was helped to cross the bridge.  We didn't have any time with
her..  Or did we?  We had her for 6 months..  And in those six months she
taught us everything we needed to know and gave us all the love that she
had to give..

I would have loved more time with her..

The point is.  for me.  I would rather know.  But then again, if we live
each day as our ferrets do, then time wouldn't matter because we would do
the best of everything each and every day.

Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz