From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:32:26 -0500
>From:    Kate Coppola <[log in to unmask]>

I don't expect BIG to let this go thru and I can't blame him, but I feel
I have to reply to your outrageous post.

[Moderator's note: Reasonable questions with reasonable answers.  But, as
many of us know, the MF debates can get rather explosive rather quickly,
so I'll have my eye on it and close it off soon.  BIG]

>Most of the time when a pet store tells you good things about MF ferrets
>the reason is because they sell Mf ferrets and want you to buy them.  In
>my life I have never heard a vet do so.  The reason is because MF ferrets
>are very inbred meaning the risk for many diseases runs higher in them.

The reason anyone sells anything is for MONEY.  Marshall provides a very
good ferret with a good warrantee which they stand behind.  They sell more
ferrets than the other major farms combined.  To do this, they have a huge
pool of breeders which means they have a larger gene pool than anyone.
Their ferrets are no more prone than any others to illness, you just notice
more of their ferrets being sick because there are so many more to get
sick.

>As you can tell, I am probably the most anti-MF person that you are ever
>going to meet.  I buy and suggest Path Valley Farms.  There ferret food is
>also great.  You can go to www.pathvalley farm.com for more information on
>this great breeder.

You aren't even close to the most anti-Marshall person around. I like
Path Valley, too, and two of my ferrets came from there. They arrived
here carrying the ECE virus and gave it to my Marshall ferret. Since
they were flown here directly from the farm,
Path Valley had to be infected with ECE at the time.

>P.S.- MF sells ferrets for fur.  Enough Said.

And that is just plain bulls#!t.  Nobody in the US raises ferrets for fur.
It just wouldn't make economic sense.  A fitch pelt on the hoof may be
worth $1.  Why waste time, effort and food raising inferior fur when you
can raise mink just as cheaply.  It is my understanding that one of the
Scandinavian countries is the only place in the world where any fitch are
raised and there is much pressure to end it there.  Before you go spouting
off about Marshall, try talking to someone who actually knows, like William
Killian, Dr. Judith Bell, etc.  Don't just rehash old politically motivated
crap that was posted by Davis et al years ago.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if you always answer the door with a ball bat in your hand.