From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:25:21 -0600
I have six ferrets and let them stay out all day.  I think it is much better
for their mental health.  When they were caged, there were many more fights
and general signs of frustration.  The tradeoff is your house, which must be
thoroughly ferret-proofed.  We put extra latches on all cabinets, hung all
plants from the ceiling, repaired baseboard, keep all toilet seats down, and
installed screen doors so that there are always TWO doors to get in/out of
the house.  All ferrets are collared with bells so you can hear them and
they don't get stepped on.  Prepare for some destruction as well - carpet
digging, paper shuffling, object stealing, couch scratching, taking the
telephone off the hook, playing answering machine messages and not saving,
etc.  They will definitely help you keep your house neat and organized!  The
other thing we do is a head count whenever leaving the house or coming back
home.  There are newspapers in most corners of the house in lieu of
litterboxes.  So it is a little more work, but very rewarding to see such
happy ferrets!  Potential dangers: windows they can open, recliners to hide
in and get crushed, electrical cords, chemicals/household cleaners,
dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, and other appliances to crawl into.
Good luck!

- Erika (and Misty, Sasha, Lizzie, Socks, Slinky, and Bear)