From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:28:43 -0500
Jennifer, it is extremely common for vets to pretreat before vaccinations
with ferrets and rate numbers for reactions exist, yet you wrote,
exclaimed and shouted:

>your 'ADVICE' about pre-treating and about vaccinations in general is
>TOTALLY MISGUIDED!!!!...

>> "As a safety precaution: ALWAYS PRETREAT for ALL vaccinations"...
>> Allergic reactions to Purevax and Imrab-3 are less common but HAVE
>> been known to occur.

> ...SAYS WHO / WHAT ?????  Less common that WHAT ?
> ...And WHAT VETERINARIAN worth his degree would support these
> statement, let alone recommend this protocol????

I don't know who or how many of us in the conversation you were
addressing (shouting at), but the below info will allow you to
clarify and confirm:

The reaction rate info for the corporate testing portion of Purevax
development can be found in the FML Archives, I am sure, since it was
discussed here so much during that time.  Since then rates come from
what vets have reported, and records vets have kept.  The rates in the
study were better than those from later, but still excellent.

You can search the FML.  Here are a few of the VETS' comments from the
FHL's Archives:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG16036
(rate allusion and pretreatment stuff)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG14440
(also both)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG13925
(both topics and more detailed for you)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG9763
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG8161
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG8160
(a lot of info in there)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG8134
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG8133
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG3826
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG3775
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG2271
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG2249
(frank statement about the 3 vax and rates)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG14059
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG12724
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG10395
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG8154

AND THERE ARE MORE in the FHL Archives and FML Archives.  I didn't count,
but I guess the above are from about 7 ferret veterinary experts.

-- Sukie (not a vet, but who does pretreat on the advice of her
current ferret vets, her past ferret vets in the 15 or so of our 25
years with ferrets, and statements such as the above)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
replacing