From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:16:13 -0400
>From:    Brandon Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My two cents.

>I certainly believe everyone has the best interests at heart, but what
>happens when the ferret gets sick in a couple of months?  Either Megan
>or the ferret will suffer, probably both.

Over the years I've seen many cold posts from strangers asking "where can
I get a cheap ferret" or "does anyone know of a place that ships ferrets,"
etc.

Meghan, however, struck me as a responsible individual who was very
interested in all aspects of ferret ownership and was doing everything in
her power to be prepared.  She even wanted to know if single fuzzies tended
to be lonely because she knew she couldn't afford to take care of more than
one.

She didn't post to the FML *asking* someone to pay for the ferret.  She
actually had financial restraint even when she knew she would probably lose
the little ferret to someone else while she saved her money.

Someone like that is smart enough to put away a little money from every
paycheck to save up for emergencies.

I understand what you're saying, Brandon, I just disagree.  I think in this
case the "Fairy Godmother" was just helping along the inevitable, much to
Meghan's delight.  She would have ended up with a ferret anyway but not the
one she fell in love with.

And to my knowledge, Meghan plans to pay her back.

-mel