From:
sargentcolburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:20:04 -0400
Dear Ferret Folks-

My little brother (not so little, sixteen and six foot four) came to stay
with us for a few days.  As a guest in our home, he had to adapt rapidly
to the tyranny of the weasels, and become, if you will, 'housetrained',
all over again.

The weasels, they like to sniff our guests all over.  That is why guests
who intend to sleep under our roof are advised to jam a towel under the
door to their room when they nap, lest weasels intrude and crawl up into
the bed WITH the unwitting guest, who may or may not appreciate the humor
of the situation.  It quickly becomes habit.

The weasels like to help guests dress and undress.  It's fun to climb
atop the foot that the guest is standing on while trying to step into
his underpants.  This is particularly true if the guest happens to be a
slightly shy teenager.  The shrieks are especially piercing.  (Hey, it
wasn't like I didn't tell him about that towel under the door trick,
remember?  I'm not heartless!)

Now that my brother is back with his parents, I think that they will have
questions about his stay with us, and what sort of influence we had upon
the boy.  What will they make of the fact that their formerly sloppy kid
is no longer willing to leave his nice rubber Teva sandals on the floor
for any length of time?  Or that he now leaves his soda glasses on the
highest available bookshelf?

I imagine them outside the door to his room, heads together whispering.
Why the towel jammed into the crack under the door?

Is it, could it be, DOPE?!  OUR BOY?!  Maybe they will believe him about
marauding weasels, and maybe they won't.  I wish him luck with that one.

Alexandra in Massachusetts