From:
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:11:42 -0800
Ferret lovers,

Concerning the Lori Badura ferret survey request that first appeared on this
forum and later on the AFA web site.  Following are my responses to this
morning's post by Bill Killian:

>We declined to respond the first time.  But we do not think that the
>description at that URL sounds like a vivisectionist or the like.

Her url clearly describes her activities.  To my knowledge, the FML has
never had a post from her until her urgent desire to "help ferrets and their
humans" popped up.  She could resolve this matter quickly by posting her
exact intentions to the FML.  Don't hold your breath.

>It is possible the AFA did not fully research this Doctor before agreeing
>to assist.  But they also may have concluded that it would be better to
>stud y ferrets as ferrets rather than only as vaccine recipients.  We
>haven't checked with an authority at the AFA.  Glenn, if you do then send
>email t o the AFA and find out.

It is certainly quite possible that someone at the AFA is not paying
attention and my last post clearly stated that I had already sent a query
to the AFA.  There has been no response.

>Any further discussion on this would appear to us to be an animal rights
>discussion rather than a ferret discussion.

And this is where it gets unpleasant.  As far as I know, Bill Gruber is
still the moderator of the FML and I think he would have a tough time
calling this ferret survey business anything other than a ferret related
issue.  I didn't start this survey thing, it came from some one from outside
the FML.  Since it was allowed on the FML, I should have every right to
question it.  For you to attempt to silence a viewpoint that you don't like
by trying to hang a non-ferret issue label on it thoroughly disgusts me.

Glenn J.

[Moderator's note: To be fair though, the Killian's did say THEY saw it as an
animal rights post -- we don't have to agree.  I'm reserving judgement now --
certainly ferret-related thus far, but let's see where it ends up.  BIG]