From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 14:51:28 -0500
Somewhere there is a place where many ferrets are kept.  It doesn't matter
if many means 50, 100, or 200 for these ferrets because day after day
nothing changes.

These ferrets are kept in cages and may only get out to be handled a couple
times a week for a few minutes when the cages are cleaned.  They are not
allowed to get down and run, bounce, dance and fall over with joy.  They are
not allowed to be a ferret.  Why?

These ferrets live with dirty food and water dishes, litter boxes, and dirty
bedding, if any bedding at all.  If their caretaker (should I say Warden) is
too 'busy' to clean cages, the cages go another day, and another, and
another.  Flies lay maggots in the feces and bacteria grows.  Some of the
ferrets get sick and still the litter boxes go uncleaned.  Why?

These ferrets are not groomed on a regular basis, their nails are not
trimmed, their ears are not cleaned, they are not bathed.  No, not once a
week, once a month and sometimes not even once a year.  Why?

These ferret's medical needs are not met.  They have severe earmites, fleas,
and are not seen by a veterinarian, even when it is an emergency.  Some die
from the lack of treatment.  Why?

If you are this shelter/breeder, shelter, breeder, or individual, can you
tell me why you do this?  How can you when you look into the beautiful faces
of these enticing creatures that only want to play and love and play some
more?

Folks, this is truly happening as you read this.

It is beyond my comprehension how someone could do this to these adorable
loving joyful creatures, or any animal for that matter.

As I look down and see Taz standing by me feet looking up expectantly at me
with those soft beautiful eyes and I reach down to pick him up for his
cuddles, my eyes fill with tears.  When I'm hurrying to clean litter boxes
and Scamp jumps my leg and grabs with his two little arms I tenderly release
his grip and tickle his tummy till he bounces away only to return seconds
later for another tackle, my eyes fill with tears for those that do not know
these simple pleasures that all ferrets crave.  The pleasures of true love
and caring.

What can we do to stop the torture and abuse????

Hugs. tle